Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oh Foggy Day

Just a quick word to say, "Yikes!"

My car is in the shop (I t got side-swiped while parked before Christmas), and so I've been riding my Vespa every day. Boy, has it been cold! The daytime "highs" aren't that bad, but unfortunately I ride in the morning, and at night, which means the "lows" have set in. Yes, it's been very cold.

I wear my jeans, a pair of windbreaker-type exercise pants, and then a pair of thick snap-up warm-ups. I wear 8" leather boots, a shirt followed by a hooded sweatshirt, followed by my riding jacket. My riding gloves "breathe" too much, so I've been wearing my ski gloves. Still, it is cold... very cold at 50+ mph.

Well, it's been steadily getting warmer, and today I went outside to a beautiful sunny morning, with decent temperatures. I decided to just wear my normal riding gloves (though I still wore the rest of my ensemble). It was a great ride...

... that is until I hit Bake Ave. No joke, I hit a WALL of fog... so thick I could hardly see. With my sunglasses and my helmet face shield, I couldn't see at all, so I lifted the face shield and went sunglasses only. Brrrrrr. I finally ditched the sunglasses, and used the face shield, though this required that I wipe the moisture from the shield repeatedly while I rode.



The pic above is from my office window. It doesn't look as bad as it was on the ride in. From Bake to Redhill, it was super dense. From Redhill to my office was foggy like above, but not as dense... just really wet.

This wasn't working out so well. I couldn't really even see the stoplights until I was almost underneath them. I was really quite freaked out, because I was so worried that a car would either not see me and hit me from behind, or not see the stoplight, and run an intersection while I was crossing it. I seriously considered just stopping at a Starbucks, and calling in to work "stranded until further notice". I'm glad I didn't because it's now 10:30, and it's still super thick.

Anyway, all this to say... I made it safely, but I'm not a fan of the fog on my scooter. Not fun at all. Not to mention, I arrived at my office wet, and frozen. A really bad day to choose to not wear the ski gloves.

Thank you Jesus for protecting me on my way to work.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Ditto... thanks Lord for protecting my hubby

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking of Wendy the whole time I was reading this... I'm sure she LOVED the thought of you not being able to see and/or be seen. I also second her thanks to the Lord for your safety.

Lolly Caruana said...

oh my goodness! scarry. i'm glad you were cautious. u can't be too careful with all of the not-so-careful people out there. i'm laughing at the idea of your gettup. we don't see too many vespas out here... :) next time you're freezing, just think of us and smile to yourself. :) love you!

Anonymous said...

Are you just not feeling inspired lately? Where is the blogggg love?