Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Back To My Roots

Two weekends ago, Kirk, Jules, Wendy and I went up to 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica for dinner. At the very very end of that trip, while walking back to the car, we past a specific street performer (one of many on the street) that was playing jazz on his brass, and singing. I was pleasantly surprised at his skill, and commented on it more than once on the ride home.

Last friday, (7/1) I had my Pandora doing a quick mix of all my stations, and the Louis Armstrong station came on playing this song: Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams, by Preservation Hall H 4 with Duke Dejan

It's been awhile since I've really listened to Jazz. Not the new wave stuff from today, but good ol' classic jazz styles. This weekend I re-found my love for it, and my southern roots. The nights were extremely pleasant this weekend, I speant lots of time outdoors, and all I wanted was Jazz, Sweet Tea, and fried catfish.

Seriously, I just really miss the South. There's something specially "romantic" (in the non-love sort of way) about the South. It is calling to me at the moment.

Well, I got my Jazz anyway (I still need me some sweet tea). It's now top on my playlist... I imagine it will be there for awhile. Duke Dejan, Doc Cheatland, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Deacon John Moore... I just love the sound.

Now... gotta find me some sweet tea.

1 comments:

Candie said...

love this post! and amen to old school jazz! id be happy to join your listening party when im down next. miss you buddy!