Thursday, December 4, 2008

Have we totally shifted?

I've had big cars for quite a few years now. I remember when i never used to think about the cost of gas... I mean, I did think about it, but not really in the way that would deter me from doing anything... until recently of course. I think we all know that the gasoline game changed for everyone when we hit $5 a gallon.

So, now that we're back down sub-$2, do you think we're gonna go back to the old way of thinking? I personally think we would have, had it not been for the horrible economy forcing people to rethink their budgets, regardless of gas prices (of course, it's the same economy that caused the gas price decline).

Back when I got my Vespa, I was all excited about the fun of the ride, and the savings on gas. At the same time, I got rid of the Lexus, and got myself a new Toyota Corolla. I convinced myself that I liked the car almost as much as the Lexus, and with the other benefits (price difference, maintenance savings, gas savings etc.) it was on par with the Lexus.

Hind-sight is 20/20, and looking back, i'm happier than ever with the car. There's nothing so satisfying with a car, as pulling away from a full tank fill-up at ~$20. Add to that my experience today: I took my Corolla in for it's first service... it cost me $0! No Charge, no labor, no tax... zero, zilch, nada!

You see, when I bought it, I got the 4yr. FULL maintenance agreement for only $7 p/bill. That's just $84 a year... for all my service needs. You have no idea how good it felt to drive in, get the stuff done, and then just drive away.

I LOVE my Corolla. It's simple, reliable and efficient. I like that.

On another note with cars: Toyota has a new cross-over car called the Venza. It is quite an attractive vehicle. I saw one, of only two, on the lot at the dealer (they just got them in this week). What struck me as odd, is that this is the 2nd vehicle I have seen at a dealer (the first being the Ford Flex) that have shown up at dealers without the slightest bit of advertising or hubbub. It's so weird. I mean, I know the economy is bad, and the auto makers are having problems... but no advertising? at all? Crazy.

Anyway, so yeah... i love my car, and I really like Toyota's (and Lexus family). I ALSO love my Vespa, and I'm excited to take the CHP course this weekend at Saddleback. I'll tell you all about it next week.

0 comments: