Monday, December 8, 2008

A Weekend of Motorcycle Fun

I took my CHP-sponsored motorcycle training course this weekend. It was pretty fun, though it sucked that it basically ate up my entire weekend. (I'm currently quite exhausted)

At the course they taught us basic operation of motorcycles (using the clutch, braking, shifting, turning/cornering, leans, etc.), and then also taught us some very minor accident avoidance techniques (quick braking, braking from a turn, swerving, riding over objects in the road, etc.)

It was very fun, however I'm a bit torn on whether or not I should have taken the intermediate course versus the basic. Since I ride a Vespa, which is a twist-and-go (and thus I don't have to use a clutch or shift gears, etc.) if was good to take the Basic course just to learn to operate an actual motorcycle effectively. However, by that same token... since I ride a Vespa, I technically don't need to know how to operate a motorcycle, and really just wanted to learn lots of accident avoidance techniques (riding techniques versus operation techniques). We did learn some, but not as many as I had hoped. Still, I enjoyed it.

My only real complaint is that the motorcycle was a bit small for my height (pictured to the right). Oh, it was fine to ride on, but as soon as I had to use the rear break [right foot] my knee was in my rib cage - no, not really, but it was freaking high and awkward... really not meant for my size person. Also, when we were riding the bikes over 2x4" wood beams (the purpose was to simulate riding over unavoidable objects in the road, or things like train tracks) you are supposed to stand on the foot pegs, and ride standing with your butt off the bike so you can use your legs as shock absorbers. Well, because of my height (and the fact that the bike was too small) it was incredibly awkward and difficult for me to do, because I had to lean way over to still reach the handlebars and throttle.

Anyway, besides the above, it was all very fun and easy. I missed a single point on the very last riding test: It was a smooth cornering skills test, where you basically do a full 180, but in a wide turn (not very sharp). You can get docked points for lack of control, needing to slow in the turn, moving outside the bounds of the turn (lines and markers in the road), not using both brakes before entering the turn, not keeping your eye focused on the exit of the turn (as opposed to looking down and watching the road), or in the case of my failure... not going through the turn fast enough. They time you through the corner, and I guess I was just a "bit" too slow for the test, so I lost one point. It kinda bugs me, since many people lost 5-8 points for their speed, and I barely missed the appropriate timing. (soooo close to a perfect score... Phooey!)

I also missed one question on the written test portion of the course. It was pretty easy, and I was the first one finished. So I'm certified, and I'll be picking up my actual M1 drivers license as soon as Saddleback sends me the certificate of completion.

There was one lady in my class that ate crap during one of the tests. We were practicing coming to a very rapid stop from a turn. The whole point of the exercise is to learn to bring the bike to a complete upright position (in a turn/corner, you're bike is leaning) before braking. Given that 70-80% of your braking power comes from your front brake, you definitely need that brake for a rapid stop. However, they told us over and over (and over) again... never never never use your front brake in a corner because 1 of 2 things will happen: 1) you'll lock up the front brake and it will pull the bike to ground, or 2) you'll lock the front brake and it will sweep your wheel out from under you. Hence the purpose of this very important "rapid braking from a corner" skills practice. Anyway, sure enough this lady did exactly what she was not to do... she used the front brake during the turn, and her bike (with her) came crashing to the ground. Since she was totally OK (a hurt ego, but nothing else) I found it entirely funny. Especially given the fact that she was now the class' "what not to do" example student :)... as long as it wasn't me, right?

So, now my back really hurts (it feels bruised) from 2 days (10+ hours) or riding skills practice, with heavy braking, etc. Given how physical the constant hard braking and maneuvering is; it brings a whole new respect for guys like Kirk who race the bikes. Kirk has told me quite a bit about his need to work out regularly back when he was racing, and now I've gotten a small taste of it. I feel like someone had been punching me in the back for 2 days. I can't see my back, but it feels like it's black and blue.

On a side note: now I have have the motorcycle bug... riding them is super fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh oh...is that going to be your next big purchase?...Like in 2020 when you finally convince Wendy that it would be a good idea. :)

Wendy said...

I am not sure 2020 will even be ok with me. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't really read a lot of blogs written by men, so it's funny for me to read yours and find that you talk about cars, motorcycles and electronics. Such a guy! :-)

Anonymous said...

Lets go get some Harley D's!!